Monday 17 March 2014

Weaving, watching, wondering

Finally... I've finished my first weave!
Here it is.


I do wonder whether it looks absolutely rubbish but came to the decision that overall it wasn't too bad. Next time I would make it narrower but I like the earthy tones and hairiness. I did a little bit of a trim to neaten it up but it certainly gives me an indication of what I should do next time. Narrower, more unusual materials (maybe even bark springs to mind) and longer.


Last weekend we visited my mother-in-law. Here's the view from her house. Those are my two little ones rolling down the hill. Gorgeous.



She's given me inspiration to start quilting again. Using navy blue fabrics, the quilt she is currently working on is so beautiful and her hand stitching is outstanding. 
I made myself a quilt years ago out of tea towels. It was my first attempt and I still love it. Here it is.


Not the best photo but you get the idea.
I've got so much fabric left over from doing the kids bunting that I thought I may as well use it for a quilt for each of them. Regrets, I'm sure, will come, but its good to have an idea what to do next.

In the meantime, on those lonely evenings of weaving, I've been watching this great UK show "Inside No 9". The guys who wrote and star in it are from the trio who did "League of Gentlemen", another show that was my favourite but surprisingly difficult to watch now.


It's suspenseful. And funny. And wrong. And anxiety-inducing. But enjoyable. And any show that has Richard III in it must be a favourite. We were brought up by a mother who was devoted to Shakespeare's Richard and would regularly quote at us "Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by this son of York". Myself and my three siblings all know enormous tracts by heart. I suppose we're lucky...

What have you been watching lately?

Lx







2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of your mum. My children were subjected to having me recite Macbeth to them when I was studying English when they were only 1 and 2. Your weaving looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TSF. You and my mum are on the same wavelength! I now recite Richard III to my two also. Handed down through the generations.

      Delete